Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Corona update II

Status: 5 cases in Rwanda
Got a little worried on Monday that I wouldn't be able to leave. 

Status: 7 cases in Rwanda
Got more worried on Tuesday, when I went to all the flight agencies to maybe catch a flight out that same night. All these worries because of the EU closing and there not being any flights. So went to the German embassy and right in the entrance I see that we got an email from uni asking us to fly home as soon as possible. Check with the embassy, and they say the same thing. Very nice staff btw! Go back to my flight agency, the sales clerk Kevin now already knows me and my intense stare. He says he can rebook it for 109 USD. I say "No, my friend got it rebooked for free". Show him the screenshot of the website stating this free rebooking due to Corona (Thanks a million, Mary Anne!), he nods once and proceeds. I got back to the office with a new ticket leaving Saturday. Great! That gives me time to prepare and to enjoy my last days here...

Status: 8 cases in Rwanda
Felt very chill by now. One more day in the office on Wednesday. Celebrate Laura's birthday Thursday. Shopping and one last interview Friday. Leave.

Status: 11 cases in Rwanda
Was at the office at 8, completed 5 interviews, said goodbye to everyone and even gave out German candy for my last day on separate anti-corona plates to the colleagues remaining. (Where at the beginning of the week, my mentor said that the virus would not affect the office, now half the staff is working from home while the other half is only allowed at minimum capacity in the offices: 3 people on 30m². The mayor even came to the office to check what we were doing. I was only told it was him after, barely looked up from my laptop to greet him with a sloppy "hey". Damn, I really wanted an interview with the vice mayor + I'm only now realizing that I must have looked quite out of place: Young white woman with slightly unwashed hair. Oh well...) Went to have dinner with Laura and Lieke, my classmates, all happy, full of burrito. Life's good.

 

Status: unchanged
Flight status: suspended
All flights from Friday at midnight have been cancelled by the government. Which leaves me and all my classmates remaining stranded. Cannot believe it. The German embassy on their emergency line was again very helpful, put down all my details and will try their best to get all Germans out before the ban. Not sure how much that'll be though... The Dutch embassy didn't even pick up the phone (I'd consider changing nationalities at this point, Dutchies). More info to come in tomorrow morning. Will start packing in the morning, just in case... 

Status: incredible

Right after the news...

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Musanze/ Volcano National Park - Ja, genau, Vulkane!

Muraho! (Hello!) Last Friday was another fine day to travel across winding roads to the North. This time however, not to leave the country, but to visit our (Laura's and mine) friend Beth. Eternally thankful for anti-puking pastiles (not the ones Fred and George came up with), because this country is really so mountanous. Consequentually, the roads go up and down. Luckily, the speed limit is 60km/h (Conservative German politicians, look at that!). There were many many road fatalities in Rwanda and thus the government decided to do something about it. Next to the speed limit, they are also educating the population on other measures of road safety, as I read, for example by going to church meetings, to reach a wide number of people (next to usual media outlets of course). Another law: Helmets are mandatory on motorbikes (boda-bodas in Swahili).    Me, my helmet and I. I am getting more adventurous with taking photos on the boda-boda for sure. In the long distance buses, seat