Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Holy mass - Sonntagsmesse

While it is not my usual Sunday activity, I figured that going to mass was a good way to get to know local religious practices. Wow, was I surprised when the service lasted 3 1/2 hours! It had also already started at 9am, when I arrived, but more people slowly trickled in for another hour or so. In the end, all the blue and white plastic chairs were packed. There was much singing by different choirs, young, old, from different churches and a lot of people were very animated, throwing up their hands and singing along or calling Halleluja and Amen. Certainly a lot more engaging than Catholic mass in Germany... The choirs are a large part of the service, over half the time was taken up by people singing. Often one person singing first, and then the choir answering, which made it all the more energetic. 
Wer mich kennt weiß schon, dass ich normalerweise keine sonntägliche Kirchgängerin bin. Aber ich dachte mir, so könnte ich bestimmt ein bisschen mehr über meine Nachbar/innen rausfinden, von denen viele Sonntags (oder Samstags wenn sie zur Adventist Church gehören) zur Messe gehen. Dann war ich allerdings sehr überrascht, dass die Messe über 3 1/2 Stunden dauert! Als ich um 9 Uhr ankam, war ich auch auf keinen Fall die erste, und die blauen und weißen Plastikstühle füllten sich nach und nach über die nächste Stunde. Während vorne schon rege von vershiedenen Chören, jung, alt und aus anderen Gemeinden, gesungen wurde. Viele sind sehr animiert vom Singen, und heben ihre Arme im Takt in the Höhe und rufen "Halleluja" oder "Amen" als Antwort. Es gibt einen Vorsinger oder eine Vorsingerin und der restliche Chor antwortet, manchmal auch alle in der Menge. Sehr viel spannender als katholische Messen in Deutschland auf jeden Fall...

After a while, a guy sat down next to me, determined to translate the whole service for me. It was very impressive with what vigour he translated the following two hours of sermons (and partly) songs. My assurance that it was very nice, but he didn't have to because I was fine not understanding, were ignored or deemed inappropriate. It was impressive how fast he was in translating, even though his English was only halfway fluent. I'm unsure if he was part of the clergy and his translations were some sort of "service" for dumb white folks.
Nach einiger Zeit hat sich dann ein Typ neben mich gesetzt, der sehr beflissen war, die Messe für mich zu übersetzen. Ich war ziemlich beeindruckt wie schnell und gut er übersetzt hat, obwohl sein Englisch gar nicht so fließend war. Es war allerdings gar nicht so einfach zu folgen, weil vorne sehr laut gepredigt wurde und mein Wissen über religiöse Inhalte auch eher dürftig ist. Ich bin mir außerdem bis jetzt unsicher, ob er zur Kirche gehörte und das so eine Art Service ist.

After sermons by a few men and women of the clergy, someone called the "visitors" to the front: Four white people, guessing by their accents from Germany. They were asked to introduced themselves and were all part of the church in one way or another. Everyone was very confused and turned around to me (at the back), when I, the only other white person, didn't go to the front with them. I was very relieved I didn't have to - there were probably 250-300 people congregated. But my relief came to fast. My ambitious translator suddendly asked me to get up and introduce myself. Seeing as everyone had turned around to me and that it was hard to hide, being as white as a ghost and rather too tall on this occasion, I reluctantly got up, but luckily didn't have to go to the front. I was handed a microphone, but no instructions of what to say. So I said "good morning" and my name and that I was from Germany and where I lived (down the road). My translator translated into Kinyarwanda, and I sat down as fast as I could. Seldomly have felt so uncomfortable - mostly because I had to speak in front of so many people who were obviously religious, and I am not. But they didn't know and I was glad to be able to join. Also regret not thinking about thanking them for having me. Other visitors then also got up and introduced themselves, so my whiteness was only what made me stand out right away, not what made me special. 
Nach Predigten von einigen Frauen und Männern, rief jemand den "Besuch" nach vorne: Vier weiße Leute, ihren Akzenten nach zu schätzen aus Deutschland und Teil der Kirche. Sie sollten sich alle vorstellen. Zu mir drehten sich einige Leute um, offensichtlich in der Erwartung, dass ich als einzige andere weiße Person auch mitkommen würde. Da war ich sehr froh, dass ich nicht dazugehöre! Aber zu früh. Als nächstes sagt mein Übersetzer, ich solle mich auch vorstellen. Da sich zu dem Zeitpunkt alle zu mir umgedreht hatten und das Mikrofon zu mir unterwegs war, stand ich widerwillig auf um mich vor den 250-300 Leuten in der Gemeinde vorzustellen. Ich habe dann schnell so was gesagt wie: "Guten Morgen. Ich heiße Charlotte. Ich komme aus Deutschland und wohne die Straße runter.". Leider habe ich verpasst mich zu bedanken, dass ich da sein durfte. Das war dann doch etwas sher stressig. Danach sollten sich auch noch andere Leute vorstellen, die zu Besuch waren, ich war nur leider durch die extreme Durchsichtigkeit meiner Haut direkt aufgefallen. Da sieht man mal wie selbstverständlich es scheint, nicht aufzufallen und wie schwer es sein muss, wenn man in Deutschland umgekehrt für sein Nicht-Weiß-Sein auffällt, nur leider auf ganz andere Weise.

Very glad I went overall. Getting back to my place, I was declared looking "very smart" by our security guy Samson, so I guess my worrying about dressing appropriately at least was not for nothing. 
Bin sehr froh, dass ich das auch erlebt habe. Zudem fand mich Samson, unser Wachmann, sehr schick angezogen, daher war ich froh, dass ich das zumindest gut hinbekommen habe.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Musanze/ Volcano National Park - Ja, genau, Vulkane!

Muraho! (Hello!) Last Friday was another fine day to travel across winding roads to the North. This time however, not to leave the country, but to visit our (Laura's and mine) friend Beth. Eternally thankful for anti-puking pastiles (not the ones Fred and George came up with), because this country is really so mountanous. Consequentually, the roads go up and down. Luckily, the speed limit is 60km/h (Conservative German politicians, look at that!). There were many many road fatalities in Rwanda and thus the government decided to do something about it. Next to the speed limit, they are also educating the population on other measures of road safety, as I read, for example by going to church meetings, to reach a wide number of people (next to usual media outlets of course). Another law: Helmets are mandatory on motorbikes (boda-bodas in Swahili).    Me, my helmet and I. I am getting more adventurous with taking photos on the boda-boda for sure. In the long distance buses, seat